Skip to main content
Essential Elements of a MLA Paper
A paper formatted according MLA Style must:
- have 1" margins (the space between the text and the edge of paper) all around the text
- be double-spaced
- have a legible, size 12 font (MLA recommends Times New Roman, but fonts like Verdana and Trebuchet are more legible for people with visual disabilities)
- include your name, your instructor’s name, the course number, and the date on separate lines in the upper left hand corner of your first page
- include, on the line after the date, the title of your paper centered on the page in title capitalization
- include a page header (see below)
- have the first line of each new paragraph indented .5"
- include at least two major sections:
- main body
- works cited list (see Works Cited tab above)
Your header should appear at the top of every page of your paper and it should include your last name, followed by a page number (flush right).
Call Number: LB 2369 .G53 2016
Publication Date: 2016-04-01