Skip to main content
Documentation & Plagiarism
Definition courtesy of Merriam-Webster:
Plagiarize: to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own: use (another's production) without crediting the source
Make every effort to document and acknowledge your sources!
Tips to Avoid Plagiarism
- Always acknowledge words or ideas that didn't originate from you.
- Use quotation marks and proper citation when copying large sections of text.
- Credit any facts, statistics, graphs, drawings - any information that is not common knowledge.
- When paraphrasing, use your own words to express the idea, and cite the source.
- Better to err on the side of too much attribution than too little.
- Don't buy or borrow an assignment/paper from the Web or elsewhere.
Purdue University Online Writing Lab