Good study skills are important to your academic success. This research guide will provide study tips and other resources to help improve your study skills.
- Prepare early
- Use your time in class wisely. Engage in class discussions and ask questions.
- In class listen carefully and take good notes.
- Review your class notes, assignments, and textbook
- Review class materials: syllabus, sample exams, study guides
- Focus on the areas that require the most attention
- Make flashcards
- Ask the instructor what information will be covered on the test
- Study over a number of days, don't cram the night before
- Take short breaks to refresh your mind
- Find a place to study that is free of distractions
- Predict test questions, focus on the points you think will be on the test
- Review and study with classmates
- Get organized: gather all lecture notes, quizzes, textbook
- Identify and learn key concepts, main points,formulas
- Test yourself on the material
- Ask for help. Contact your instructor, tutors, or librarians for assistance.
TIPS FOR EXAM DAY
- Arrive early
- Listen carefully to instructions
- Survey the entire test before starting to answer
- Be alert
- Eat, carbs and protein will help your brain work better
- Bring extra writing tools
- Bring all required materials (example: calculator)
- Go to the bathroom prior
- Wear comfortable clothes
- Bring any needed items: tissues, water
- Review notes
- Be mindful of the time
- Use left over time to review your answers
- Have confidence
- Stay calm
© 2018 Dallas County Community College District.